Did you know the Nebraska Regional Poison Center as well as all poison centers across our nation never close? In 1961, Congress established National Poison Prevention Week to raise awareness, reduce unintentional poisonings, and promote poison prevention. Each year, more than 2 million poisonings are reported to the nation’s poison centers, which can be reached by calling 1-800-222-1222.
Most poisoning deaths are due to misuse and abuse of drugs, but poisoning exposures can involve a vast array of substances such as household cleaning products, personal care products, chemicals, bites and stings, pesticides, plants, gasses and batteries. Poisonings happen every day in every age group.
The Nebraska Regional Poison Center will unite with the nation’s other 54 poison centers to celebrate the 57th Annual National Poison Prevention Week on March 17-23, 2019, a week dedicated to raising awareness about poisoning in the U.S. and highlighting ways to prevent it.
There are actions that we can all take to reduce Poisonings. Here are just a few:
- Save the Poison Center number in your phone as a contact: 1-800-222-1222
- Be sure to read and follow medicine labels every time.
- Never share your medicine with others or use someone else’s medicine.
- Remember to always use the dosing device that comes with the medicine.
- Take only one medicine at a time with the same active ingredient.
- Store all medicines up and away and out of reach and sight of children.
- Teach children to only take medicines with the permission and guidance from a parent or trusted adult.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
- Be aware of where the disc batteries are in your home. They may be found in remote controls, key fobs, watches and toys. Keep batteries away from children!
- Make sure all cleaning materials, including laundry packets, are stored in original containers and up and out of sight of children.
- It is important to get rid of old and unused medicines as soon as you don’t need them anymore. There are pharmacies that take back medications year round. The Poison Center will help you locate the pharmacy nearest you.
- Text “poison” to 797979 to save the contact information for poison control in your smartphone.
The Nebraska Regional Poison Center is a free community service to the public.
When you call 1-800-222-1222, you will speak immediately to a
Registered Nurse or Pharmacist 24/7/365.